Monday, February 16, 2009

My CITY OF JOY:


This city , to which I belong is a paradox to the hilt .A city of contrasts and contradictions .I need'nt say since it is very obvious that it has its fair share of conflicts too .It has this unbelieveable capacity to assault all your senses- the mass of people , the poverty , the noise , the traffic , the nauseating car horns , the obnoxious fumes of smoke , the feeling of rot and decay , the cooking on the streets, remnants of paan marks on walls, the overpowering smells that choke your lungs , the banners and slogans , the chain of typewriters on the streets, the cow on road , the dilapidated public transport system - But then it has the capacity to surprise you with wonderful moments of culture , humanity , humour and unanticipated spirit.

This latter part of Calcutta is what i treasure and its this that keeps me going .My love and respect for this global village seems to increase each day that i wake up .

I could not have belonged to any other city as well as i belong to my city of birth-My city of Joy.

No comments: